We’re incredibly lucky to have residents from over 40 different cultural backgrounds living at IHD so now we’re calling all cooks at IHD to share your recipes and contribute to IHD’s Community Cookbook. Whether it’s a nostalgic bit of comfort food from your home country, a cheap and easy snack, an old family favourite or you’ve invented something new – we want to hear from you!
Nothing brings a community together quite like a shared meal
We’ll be looking for a broad range of recipes with dishes that can be made in a small kitchen with limited equipment and, recipes that are nourishing, delicious and affordable. It’s tough (but not impossible!) to meet this criteria so don’t count yourself out if your recipe requires something a little extra. Similarly, nothing is too simple to be included. If you have the recipe for the ultimate toasted sandwich, we want to know about it too!
We’ll be picking some of our favourite recipes to share on our website and in a printed publication.
Please submit your recipe to Carla and Natalie using the form below. Submissions have been extended till Friday 16 June. Selected recipe contributors will be notified in June 2023.
Tips on photographing food:
- Use natural lighting where possible. Artificial light may cause shadows, flickering and unwanted effects. Capture food images near a window on an overcast day for soft and diffused lighting.
- Remove clutter to focus on your food. Have a clean, neutral background or zoom in to keep it simple.
- Add a human element. Whether it’s someone’s hand mixing in a bowl or picking up food with a fork, adding a human component can make it feel more ‘real’ and less staged.
- Consider colour and contrast. Plate different coloured foods together and, if you have a dark background, considered a light-coloured plate.
- Avoid using filters to edit photos.
- Try different angles. Photograph at table level, from above or even at a bird’s eye view.
- Need a tripod? Email us to borrow one!
Submit your recipe:
Interested in helping to put this cookbook together? We need videographers, photographers, recipe reviewers and taste testers. Get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions? Email us at email@example.com. We look forward to reading and making your recipes.